"Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change."
- Mary Shelley (Frankenstein)I've seen a lot of change in the last year. Some expected, some unexpected. Some welcome, some dreaded. Some small, some huge. There are certain changes that I just don't handle very well. There are some that change me.
One change came in the form of a dream come true. I began dreaming of a tutoring program at church about two years ago. I brainstormed, typed up outlines of ideas, presented them to hardly a soul, and could barely imagine it coming to fruition. But God, according to His plan, worked it all out and began the tutoring program in November of last year. He has sustained it and evolved it beyond my wildest dreams. Through that change, God has changed/is changing me. He has given me a role that I in my flesh am not equipped to do, so He is shaping me into who He wants me to be to accomplish His plan.
Another change came in the form of an unexpected job offer to be the church secretary. God knew that I needed a place to work that allowed and encouraged me to make ministry my priority. It's been almost a year and though the initial change was difficult, it's been just what I need.
Some of the happy changes include new babies to be an aunt to and moving in with one of them and his parents, getting to know some great people a little better, and becoming a little more confident in Christ.
And there have been some devastating changes. They have also been the most unexpected and unwelcome. But, somehow, through them, God is very mercifully changing me. He's changing me into someone who trusts Him completely. Someone who has unshakable joy. Someone who knows there is a bigger picture. Someone who basks in His steadfast love and tender affection. Someone who banks on Him not ever changing one little bit.
See, that is how a great and sudden change is not so painful...because my God never changes. Before anything, He was. Right now, He is. In the end, He will be. The same.
No comments:
Post a Comment