I've finished my first book of a long list I hope to read by April.
Book #1 was "Same Kind of Different As Me".
I struggled through the first third of the book. I forced myself to keep going through poorly written, slightly annoying, and boring back stories of two men who I knew would meet up at some point. Finally, just when I was about to give up, the story that makes the book began to surface and it caught my attention. Once the good part of the story began to take shape, I couldn't put the book down. Now, the poor writing and annoying reproduction of Denver's lingo continue throughout, but the story gets better and better. I cried. I don't cry reading books. But, I did. I will say that there were a few times toward the end that I was skeptical of some supernatural occurrences, but it didn't bother me much. If it happened, it happened; if it didn't, it didn't.
I'm glad I finished it. I was encouraged to continue to love the unlovable...and to do so with more love and more urgency. To set the captives free and never write anyone off. And I was reminded that genuine Christ-like love can drastically change lives.

No comments:
Post a Comment