The life experience is pretty much made up of actions and reactions. The reactions tend to turn into our biggest mistakes or most enjoyable memories (most often mistakes). Our reactions, I think, are the moments we aren't practicing much self-control. And sometimes, this turns out ok...even great (perhaps because we are letting go and truly being free). But, most times, it turns out regrettable. It's the actions of the life experience I want to focus on. I've done the reaction thing plenty.
Actions come out of self-control. They require thought. They require planning. They require courage. They require doing. Self-control is not masking who you are, or denying who you are...it's being more who you are. Controlling your self allows you to act instead of react. I want to learn to do that.
The life experience is pretty much made up of actions and reactions. But, it's also made up of observations. We observe people and their actions and reactions. And these observations tend to make up what we believe about life, ourselves, and others. Observations are powerful...therefore, people's actions and reactions are powerful. If that's really the case, I want my reactions to be more self-controlled and my actions to be more frequent.
*a note on self:
My self is not the identity I've discovered for myself that has it's root in who I see myself to be. My self is the identity I have in an outside source - Jesus Christ. I can only be truly myself when I see myself as hidden in Him and Him abiding in me. Self-control is my ruling my body, emotions, and will to act like who I really am in Christ. And there's nothing more fulfilling and completing than knowing who I am and making myself act and feel like who I really am.
No comments:
Post a Comment