Sunday, September 12, 2010

How God uses cats, Canton, and couples

There are beautiful seasons in life that don't look so beautiful to the human eye. And there are beautiful instruments that God uses during those seasons that communicate God's amazing love toward us.

Yesterday, God used my cat. It reminded me of another instance where God used an animal to show me that God is in authority over all creation and does use creation to express His love and comfort in a tangible way. About 15 years ago, when my grandfather passed away, a black dog showed up in the front yard of my grandmother's house. I was convinced at that young age that God had sent the dog to comfort us kids in some way. I don't know why I was comforted by seeing the dog, but at the very least, I believed God cared and used the dog to show it. So, back to yesterday. I said goodbye to my best friend who will be gone for a long time. When I got home, my cat immediately rolled onto her back, ready for me to pet her. Since then, she has been my shadow and been extra affectionate and cuddly. I'm so grateful that God would recognize my need for comfort and companionship and see fit to give that to me in part through a cat.

Today, I got invited to go to Canton. I've never been to Canton - a flea market popular for arts and crafts and antiques - and have been wanting to go. I mentioned this to a lady at my church and then I promptly forgot about it. Today at church, another lady told me to mark my calendar and that we were going to Canton together. I was so grateful for older ladies in my church involving younger ladies in their lives. And I am so grateful for something to look forward to. With my best friend gone, it's always an easier time to be able to fill up my calendar with things to do and look forward to. I'm grateful that God would be so kind and understanding to provide activities to fill up my time...especially with women who have the potential to be such an encouragement.

And God uses couples. Friends who are married who care about their single friends and involve them in their lives. Yesterday, God providentially caused me and my friends who are married to bump into each other right after I dropped my best friend off at the airport. Just seeing them comforted me, but their sweet spirit of genuine concern lifted my soul and promised me that I could count on my friends during this time. Today at church, my friend told me that I had a date with her and her husband on Friday night. It's no small thing for a couple to find childcare for their kids and then spend their Friday night with their single friend. I'm humbly grateful. I need my friends during this time and I will take advantage of their Christ-like willingness to bring me into their lives. It's easy to see Jesus in them.

I know I will see many more instruments of God's very real love and concern for me...and I'm excited to see how all these things work together into something beautiful and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment