Monday, June 3, 2013

Lately...

It's been a long while since I've stopped by here. School. Work. Stuff. Life got crazy there for a while.

But, now I've slowed down. Life hasn't really. I have. And that has to do with a book. And reading. I slowed down to read a book and everything became a bit more clear and a lot more beautiful. The mere act of spending hours reading slowed my breathing, focused my eyes, calmed my body. It was good for the soul.

The book. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. It's rather trendy and super popular right now. NOT the type of book I go for. And besides that, it's geared toward women. Another reason I would never have read this. But, my sister-in-law and my best friend both highly recommended it and I desperately needed the nourishment. I knew it was about thankfulness. And I knew I needed more of that.

This book is teaching me to learn and practice. Potentially: It has been like breathing fresh air after years of ingesting smog. It has been like drinking pure water after years of drinking muddied sludge. It has been like getting the right lens prescription after years of squinting hard. It's all stuff I've known and need to put into practice. I'm praying for help to not let this slip through my fingers, but to do what I'm reading.

I want joy.

This tire swing has been hanging for 40 years at my aunt's house. It was exhilarating to ride it again as an adult.


No comments:

Post a Comment