Friday, June 7, 2013

Comfort in Correction

As I lay in bed last night, I was thinking about Psalm 23. Specifically verse 4.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
- Psalm 23:4 ESV
"...Your rod and your staff, they comfort me." What is this rod and staff?

When I hear "rod" I think of the Proverbs' warning against sparing the rod. The rod is a form of discipline and representative of authority. We know from Hebrews that God disciplines His children because of His love for them. But, when has discipline ever felt good - from our earthly father or our heavenly Father?

And then, the staff. I think of a shepherd guiding his sheep along and pulling back the ones that are wandering off. Even rescuing ones that might have fallen off a precipice - pulling them up by the crook of the staff.

So, rod and staff. Discipline and correction. Authority and guidance. Love and rescue. Even though being yanked by the neck feels not so good at the time, you were rescued from falling to your death. Even though being poked and prodded by the end of a stick feels unpleasant at the time, you are being steered from destruction. What love!

Yes, Your rod and Your staff comfort me! They mean that You are with me. They mean You are watching over me and looking out for me. They mean You will keep me from wandering and falling away. They mean that You care deeply about me.

Be thankful for discipline and correction.


1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to get this same message across to my own children...two in particular!

    ReplyDelete